BETTY Summer School 2016
27th June - 1st July 2016, Limassol, Cyprus
Behavioural type systems go beyond data type systems in order to specify, characterize and reason about dynamic aspects of program execution. Behavioural types encompass: session types; contracts (for example in service-oriented systems); typestate; types for analysis of termination, deadlock-freedom, liveness, race-freedom and related properties; intersection types applied to behavioural properties; and other topics. Behavioural types can form a basis for both static analysis and dynamic monitoring. Recent years have seen a rapid increase in research on behavioural types, driven partly by the need to formalize and codify communication structures as computing moves from the data-processing era to the communication era, and partly by the realization that type-theoretic techniques can provide insight into the fine structure of computation.
The aim of this summer school is to provide advanced training, especially to PhD students and early-career researchers, in all aspects of the theory and practice of behavioural types.
Lecturers and topics
- Massimo Bartoletti (University of Cagliari, Italy) :: Behavioural contracts
- Laura Bocchi (University of Kent, UK) :: Multiparty session types
- Luís Caires (Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal) :: Linear logic and behavioural types
- Ornela Dardha (University of Glasgow, UK) :: Introduction to session types
- Raymond Hu (Imperial College London, UK) :: Practical programming with Scribble and session types
- Vasco Vasconcelos (University of Lisbon, Portugal) :: Type-based tools: SePi and ParTypes
- Philip Wadler (University of Edinburgh, UK) :: Propositions as sessions
It will also be possible for participants to give short talks.
The organising committee consists of the Action chair and vice-chair, the Working Group chairs, and the local organiser.
- Ilaria Castellani (INRIA Sophia Antipolis Méditerranée, France)
- Simon Gay (University of Glasgow, UK), Chair
- Thomas Hildebrandt (IT University of Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Hans Hüttel (Aalborg University, Denmark)
- Luca Padovani (University of Torino, Italy)
- Anna Philippou (University of Cyprus), Local Organiser
- António Ravara (Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal)
- Vasco Vasconcelos (University of Lisbon, Portugal)